Established in 2003, the Public Art Program requires that 2% of the total building valuation be set aside for original artwork to be placed at the site of a covered project in a manner consistent with the Public Art Ordinance. The Public Art Program of the City of Ojai is intended to:
- Improve the quality of life for City residents, workers, and visitors by providing the development of cultural and artistic resources and by enhancing the City’s visual image.
- Develop a Public Art Program that is unique to Ojai, and provide diverse artworks of the highest quality
- Increase the understanding and enjoyment of public art by Ojai’s citizens.
- Integrate art in a sensitive manner with the proposed development sites and City surroundings.
- Invite public participation in, and interaction with, public spaces.
- Provide artistic diversity in the use of media and artistic expression.
- Encourage interdisciplinary arts.
- Include works by local, regional, national, and international artists that are suitable for viewing by a diverse community audience.
- Encourage collaborations between artists, architects, and engineers.
- Support artist participation on design teams for planning public projects.
View and download the Developer's Guidelines for Public Art Booklet